What is the Resilient-C Platform?
Resilient-C is a free online platform that helps coastal communities in Canada to determine which other communities are most like their own when it comes to coastal hazards. This platform can help communities discover other locations that face similar hazards vulnerabilities, discover what actions these communities have undertaken to address coastal risks, and discover planning actions that have been taken to become more resilient.
Our database currently includes information for over 100 communities located in British Columbia and Nova Scotia. We are looking to continue to expand this number to new communities and regions as new data and resources become available, with the goal of including most Canadian coastal communities over the next several years.
Who is the Resilient-C Platform For?
The tool works by measuring coastal communities using twenty-five carefully-selected indicators across five different capitals: economic, social, institutional, built environment and natural environment. Each indicator has been selected to identify key aspects that may increase vulnerability from, or promote resilience to, coastal hazards in Canada. You can search for similar communities using all twenty-five indicators, or perform an advanced search on a subset of them, right down to individual indicators such as population size or how connected a community is with its neighbours.
You are Using Our New Beta Site
Thanks for checking out the site! As you will quickly see, we are in the process of updating the Resilient-C platform website as we complete Phase II of the project and not everything looks or works 100% at the moment.
We're working to fix these issues as quickly as we can because we can't wait to bring you some of the new features we've been working on, including:
- 53 new communities in Nova Scotia;
- 13 new and 6 updated similarity indicators;
- Expanded use of geospatial data; and
- Updated to use 2016 census data.
There are a couple of issues we are hard at work on fixing in our next update:
- The site menu does not work correctly on smaller screens,
- Our images have not yet been optimized and might be a bit slow to download,
- Our maps may not update if you change the size of a browser window after a page has loaded, and
- We have temporarily removed our list of community-based resilience-building initiatives while we review and update these documents into a new, standardized format.
If you spot a bug, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com with "Bug Report" in the subject.